PS4 support for three years and backward compatibility on PS5 – highlights from interview with SIE chief
Sony Interactive Entertainment CEO Jim Ryan gave an extensive interview to The Washington Post. The main topic of the conversation concerned the PS5 console and its launch line of games.
We chose the main thing from the material.
- The company has decided on PS5 pricing in the first half of 2020. Sony originally wanted to sell one version of the console for the PS4 price in 2013. It was decided that the PS5 will be sold for $ 399 without a floppy drive
- Despite the coronavirus, Sony managed to produce more PS5 copies by September than PS4 (2.1 million) in 2013
- Sony’s approach is still focused on developing exclusive games. According to the head of SIE, the company includes four or five of the best studios in the world
- Horizon Forbidden West and Spider-Man: Miles Morales have been released on PS4 in order not to upset players. Sony decided to give everyone the choice of which console to play on
No one should be disappointed. The PS5 versions of these games are built from the ground up and take full advantage of the PS5’s benefits, and players who purchase the PS4 versions can get the PS5 versions for free. Everything so that players have a choice. This seems correct to me.
- Sony has already tested “thousands of games” for compatibility of PS4 versions of games with PS5. The new console will receive 99% of the tested titles