PS4 support for three years and backward compatibility on PS5 – highlights from interview with SIE chief
Sony Interactive Entertainment CEO Jim Ryan gave an extensive interview to The Washington Post. The main topic of the conversation concerned the PS5 console and its launch line of games.
We chose the main thing from the material.
- The company has decided on PS5 pricing in the first half of 2020. Sony originally wanted to sell one version of the console for the PS4 price in 2013. It was decided that the PS5 will be sold for $ 399 without a floppy drive
- Despite the coronavirus, Sony managed to produce more PS5 copies by September than PS4 (2.1 million) in 2013
- Sony’s approach is still focused on developing exclusive games. According to the head of SIE, the company includes four or five of the best studios in the world
- Horizon Forbidden West and Spider-Man: Miles Morales have been released on PS4 in order not to upset players. Sony decided to give everyone the choice of which console to play on
No one should be disappointed. The PS5 versions of these games are built from the ground up and take full advantage of the PS5’s benefits, and players who purchase the PS4 versions can get the PS5 versions for free. Everything so that players have a choice. This seems correct to me.
- Sony has already tested “thousands of games” for compatibility of PS4 versions of games with PS5. The new console will receive 99% of the tested titles
- Sony will support the PS4 for another three to four years. The company understands that with the launch of the PS5, many will be left behind.
- When it comes to PC games and movie / TV production, Ryan says Sony just decided to expand the PlayStation brand.
According to VGC , the initial print run of the digital version will be much smaller. One GameStop employee reported that there are two Digital versions of the 12 floppy-drive PS5 consoles. Perhaps these are the problems of one of the stores, because Sony did not comment on the statements about the availability of consoles and their quantity.
The start of sales of consoles in the Russian Federation is scheduled for November 19, pre-orders are already open in many countries. The cost of PS5 with a floppy drive is 46,999 rubles, the Digital Edition is 37,999 rubles. The games will cost 70 dollars and 80 euros, we will find out the Russian prices soon.